- About Us
- Videos & Blogs
- Better Than Dr. Google Research Site
- Schedule An Appointment
- Rx & Diet Refills/Home Delivery
- Contact Us
- Site Map
- International Travel
East Rockaway Veterinary Hospital
351 Atlantic Avenue East Rockaway, NY 11518
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL WITH YOUR PET
Exporting your pet or traveling with your pet internationally can be confusing and incredibly complicated. If the proper requirements are not met you may be forced to leave your pet behind, placed in quarantine at your destination, or having your pet refused entry into the country you are traveling to.
Let us help you make your pet's journey as easy as possible!
Follow these steps to help expedite the process:
1. Plan ahead! Each country has its own set of requirements to allow import your pet. Some countries have requirements that can take MONTHS to complete.
2. Watch this short video from the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
3. Go to the USDA APHIS website. There you will find answers to many of your questions regarding international travel with your pet including what certificates are required to enter a particular country.Click on this link to be taken there USDA APHIS WEBSITE
4. Call our office a minimum of 30 days in advance at (516) 887-3322 to set up an appointment. Countries like the United Kingdom and New Zealand have many additional requirements. Some countries like China can take months worth of work to get a certificate. Also requirements must be performed in a specific order. We can help determine how long it will take to fulfill the requirements and schedule as necessary.
6. Not all veterinarians have USDA accreditation. Dr. Selkowitz is USDA accredited and will examine your pet, fill out the country specific certificate, and fill out an APHIS form 7001 (if needed). International health certification examinations are performed Monday through Friday. Sorry, no IHC examinations are performed on Saturdays.
7. For countries that require an APHIS form 7001 you must next have the form endorsed by the State Veterinarian. APHIS is now highly recommending that the forms be mailed overnight to Albany for endorsement. The address is located on the APHIS website. There is also a State Veterinarian located at JFK Airport. Their address and phone number are 230-59 Rockaway Blvd Jamaica, NY 11413 (718) 553-3570. Appointments must be pre-scheduled by phone, and are available Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 12:30pm. There service is only available for individuals departing within 5 days.
8. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND using a company that can help facilitate your pets travel making this process much easier. Taking care of all of the details for you. Pet Express Animal Transport is one such company that clients have used in the past and have been very happy with the service. (866) 738-6683 www.pet-express.com